Alex Gerbi is the co-managing partner of Quinn Emanuel's London office. He acts for governments/states, major corporations and high net worth individuals in complex, high value, cross-border commercial disputes. Alex's practice encompasses English High Court and Appellate litigations, as well as commercial and investor-state arbitrations, and commonly involves the strategic coordination of proceedings in multiple jurisdictions. Alex has particular expertise in disputes relating to Russia, Ukraine and other CIS territories.
The Legal 500 says Alex is “a natural leader and one of the top litigation lawyers in London” and “a powerhouse - smart, savvy and always contactable. Clients feel safe when he is managing their dispute because he gets into the details and never gives up”. Chambers & Partners described him as “extremely bright, sensible and practical”. Amongst other recognitions, Alex’s status as one of the UK’s foremost lawyers was reflected in his inclusion in The Lawyer’s “Hot 100” for 2017.
- Acting for three of the Executors of the Estate of the Late Dame Zaha Hadid in respect of a dispute with the fourth Executor.
- Acting for JSC Commercial Bank “PrivatBank” of Ukraine in bringing its USD3 billion audit negligence claim against PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
- Acting for JSC Commercial Bank “PrivatBank” of Ukraine in defending LCIA arbitrations claims brought against it by Madison Pacific Trust Limited and UK SPV Credit Finance Plc arising out of the ‘bail-in’ of Eurobonds with a value of USD 375 million as part of the Bank’s nationalisation in December 2016.
- Advising a state central bank and other governmental agencies on claims and other matters connected with a systemically important bank in the CIS region.
- Advised a major Russian group on an investor-state arbitration claim against a CIS state relating to a debt arising out of Soviet era energy investments.
- Acting for a Russian ultra-high net worth individual and related corporate entities as claimants in a high value fraud claim before the English Commercial Court.
- Acting for Ukraine in its landmark dispute pending before the English High Court, Financial List, with The Law Debenture Trust Corporation PLC relating to USD 3 billion Eurobonds issued by Ukraine in December 2013. This is believed to be the largest case to date in the Financial List.
- Acting for JSC Oschadbank in a landmark bilateral investment treaty arbitration claim against the Russian Federation arising out of the loss of the bank's assets and investments in Crimea following the annexation of that territory.
- Acted for a private equity fund in respect of a claim before the English High Court arising out of defaulted bonds.
- Acted for Mrs Angela Shamoon and Ms Alexandra Shamoon as defendants to an English High Court claim in which the claimants, Mr Peretz Winkler and Arzal Finance Corp, assert rights to shares in companies of the late Mr Sami Shamoon which hold very valuable businesses and assets located in Israel. Alex’s clients were recently successful on all aspects of their challenge to the jurisdiction of the English Court to hear the claim. (Peretz Winkler v Angela Shamoon  EWHC 2017 (Ch))
- Acted for individuals who are minority shareholders in a very substantial (multi-billion dollar) privately-owned international business group against the majority shareholders in a claim for unfair prejudice under s. 994 Companies Act 2006.
- Acted for a Ukrainian businessman in a high value and multi-jurisdictional shareholder dispute relating to various businesses and assets located in Ukraine but held through an ownership structure stretching across the Netherlands, Cyprus and the British Virgin Islands.
- Acted for individuals in defending a worldwide freezing order and related relief obtained against them in connection with alleged wrongdoing by them in the course of their employment by the claimants.
- Acted for a UK listed mining company in defending parallel multi-billion dollar fraud claims before the Swiss Chambers Arbitration Institution and the International Chamber of Commerce relating to a project to sink a deep mine shaft in Southern Russia.
- Acted for a leading Russian internet investor in a minority shareholder dispute relating to an investment in a Russian e-commerce venture and involving multi-jurisdictional issues in the BVI, Cyprus and Russia.
- Acted for an investor in a bilateral investment treaty arbitration under ICSID rules in respect of the alleged expropriation of billion dollar+ mining assets in Indonesia.
- Acted for an investor in a dispute governed by Stockholm Chamber of Commerce Arbitration relating to failed energy investments in Russia. Succeeded in obtaining an award for the client in excess of US$150 million, together with the full costs of the arbitration.
- Acted for a telecommunications company in an internal investigation into alleged fraudulent activities perpetrated by employees in connection with the procurement of supply contracts in Africa.
- Acted for shareholders in a minority shareholder dispute relating to the management and operation of a high value IT/software company.
- Acted in English High Court proceedings for a claimant seeking to recover substantial losses suffered as a result of an alleged fraudulent investment scheme operated against him.
- Acted for a Russian client in a joint venture dispute with a foreign partner subject to LCIA arbitration.
- Acted for Russian businessman and entrepreneur Oleg Deripaska in his High Court proceedings against Michael Cherney, one of the largest and most complex commercial disputes ever to come to trial in the High Court.
- Acted for a mining company in an English High Court claim against its insurers for an indemnity for losses suffered as a result of the capsize of a titanium dredger at a mine in Sierra Leone.
- Acted for parties in a high value LCIA arbitration concerning the ownership of gas drilling rights in former Russian territories.
- Acted for partners in a global telecommunications business in a long-running arbitration concerning the operation and dissolution of the partnership.
- Acted for a Gibraltarian oil and gas investment company in defence of parallel proceedings brought by interested parties in London and Gibraltar alleging unfair prejudice and breach of trust.
- College of Law, London
- Manchester University
- Law Society of England and Wales, 2000
- Olswang LLP:
- Partner, 2007-2010
- Solicitor, 2000-2007
- Ince & Co:
- Trainee, 1998-2000